Monday, March 26, 2007

Water and Earth

I've finished two more of the Elementals boxes. "Water" is below:


"Earth", which has three snakes slithering accross the desert:


Here are "Water" and "Earth" side by side. My camera was giving me trouble getting things in focus.


Here's one more side shot of "Earth" showing the detail of one of the snakes painted on the sides.:


As with "Air", all of the boxes are 6" x6" x 3" deep, and I built them out of 1/4" poplar, with a backing of 1/4" plywood. The sides of the boxes are painted with acrylic, and the background paintings are gouache on Bristol Board. The fish and snakes are carved from cottonwood bark, and painted with acrylic. The edges of the acrylic are nailed down with small #18 brads and studded with glass beads.

It has been very rewarding to work on this series, and perfect work for winter months. My garage shop has been too cold. Bren bought me a drawing table, which is set up in the den, and I have a handy set of Ikea birch plywood drawers for my paints and brushes.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are again ... amazing Jackie! I love the colors and iconography. They seem perfect, without being over done.

Snakes on a plain? nice! Love what you did for fire - a heart! But something about air ... (must kibitz, being an air sign) Its like the branch needs more right side balance (or not) like another branch or swirly wind tendrils painted in the lower rt. (or not) :)
Would love to see them up close. They're Beautiful!

12:19 PM  
Blogger Padmayogini - Wendy Le Ber said...

Just found your site, lovely boxes, they have a good feel for the elements.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Elderberry Studio said...

Padmayogini:
Thank you for your comments and visiting my site. I don't update very often these days - but I do expect to start updating more often. I just got a commission for a large body of work, so I'll post as I work on some new pieces.

Greg: Thanks for visiting! It was good to hear from you. I really wasn't even thinking of the pun and the movie when I did the snakes with the desert behind them. I was in the Southwest last summer, and several cultures use the snake as a symbol for the earth.

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker