Sunday, April 30, 2006

Finished Birds

I finally managed to get photos today of the three bird masks, now finished. The first of the birds is the "Snowy Owl Inhua" below. I think I described the mask pretty thoroughly in my earlier post a few weeks ago. But this shows the Snowy Owl with her 'yua' or human being (spirit). She's made of cottonwood bark and glass beads. Size: 10"h x 10"w.




Below is the "Diving Loon" mask. She has a shark fin on her back, protruding from a long toothed mouth-like opening. She has human legs and arms - depicting a shaman in transformation. On the right and left are ulus, or women's knives. They are attached with baleen, which makes them springy. Their curved blades are ideal for fileting and cutting meat. (I use mine for cutting pizza and veggies, as well as skinning fish! ) The toothy mouth and mixture of human and animal parts are typical of shamanic masks. Material: cottonwood bark, spruce and alder root, feathers, glass beads, baleen. Size: 12"h x 15"w.



Below are two views of the "Murre with Kayaker", which isn't a mask, but a dance object or sculpture. It was designed to hang from the ceiling of the community house with gut or twine. I haven't yet figured out how I'll display my piece - I think I'll use some sort of twine, which will require drilling a hole through the head and tail. The murre carries a man in a kayak that looks like a sei whale. The Eskimo and Aleut kayaks did look like whales, with turned up double prows, and often had eyes painted on either side of the front. The man is using a leaf-bladed paddle, and wears a traditional hunting hat (Aleut/Koniag style). These were made of bentwood, and decorated profusely with stylized drawings and designs of waves, sea mammals, hunters, and flowers. Size: 15" long x 17" wide wingspan.



This photo shows the Murre in 'flight' (I just jury-rigged it using heavy monofilament). In this shot, you can see the ulu blade mounted in her belly. I am not happy with the photo, but after I figure out how to hang this piece, I'll get some more photos.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jackie, these pieces are fantastic! Your exhibition will be very exciting and I wish I could see it.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Elderberry Studio said...

Wow marja-leena! You are so quick on the draw - I was creating another post as you were reading and commenting! That RSS feed must work. I'll have to try that out when I have more computer time on my hands. Thanks again for the support - sorry I've been so lax about reading/commenting at your blog. I read it a couple times a week. We're hoping, once I have the finished work all shipped off to Montana, that I'll have some down-time before I go at the end of June, and we'll make a trip to Vancouver.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the RSS works really well, and I just happened to be here when yours popped up! And you ARE busy, another post here with more interesting work. Let me know when you come up, maybe we can meet!?

8:31 PM  
Blogger Howard said...

I wish I could see your show as well! These look great. Have you thought of maybe using a very simple metal rod base to support the kayaker. I'd imagine you'd want something that didn't detract from the work itself.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Elderberry Studio said...

marja-leena: that would be great if we could get together in Vancouver! I want to do some gallery-hopping.

Howard: thanks! Yeah - the metal rod option was the first I thought of - anchoring it in a base of natural stone - slate or dark sandstone I could find on the beach here. I have some heavy-guage wire that would work.

Maybe your work will be on display in a Vancouver gallery when we come up!

12:52 PM  
Blogger Elderberry Studio said...

E: Thanks! Well - I haven't really started pricing them yet. I figure the smallest ones will be $200, and go up from there. I've sold my pieces in the past for up to $300, but that was without big 40% gallery commissions. I guess the acceptable thing to do is name my price, and add in the gallery commission. Anyone else know what the norm is? I've been keeping track of hours, and have averaged about 25 hours per mask. The smaller ones, which are less complex (don't have the appendages/pieces), took lots less time.

Oh - and we went shopping Saturday - I bought a couple of cool pieces of stone to try for the base of the bird, and a 1/8" brass dowel, which I'll cut to size. Woohoo! Plus I'm just a hair's breadth from finishing the three in my April 30 entry. Yeah!
Photos next weekend - hope, hope!

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker