Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Four More Finished Masks Plus three Small Ones

This is Dance Object with Sea Animals. The original was suspended from the community house, but mine has been finished to hang against the wall. The finished size of the base is 10", and with feathers, it is about 18" accross. Cottonwood bark mounted on pine, feathers, glass beads, oil stain and acrylic (on pine). The little animals would have traditionally been mounted using bird quills or baleen, so they would bounce or look like they were swimming when the object was raised and lowered. I made the background in my piece to look like the sea, and the black dots represent the holes that led to the spirit world of the animals, as well as the breathing holes in the ice.




This is Two-Faced Mask. It represents the dual nature of man, by showing both a male and female face. It is a shamanic piece, as illustrated by the toothed hat or head ornament. From the hoops hang 'clackers' which would move with the dancer's movements. I hung mine with copper wire, which gives a modern spin to the mask, and allows movement by air, even when the piece is static. The woman (bottom) is adorned with the traditional chin tattoos, and wears beads in her septum. Size: 21" h x 5" w (at hoop). Cottonwood bark, alder root, feathers, copper wire, glass beads.



The Crane Inhua is a crane with it's inhua or human spirit on its belly. A human figure bound in grass rides on her chest - it probably represents a shaman. Size: 12" h x 13" w. Cottonwood bark, glass beads, raffia, alder roots, feathers.




Here are two views of Blue Shaman: closed and open. He is in the act of transforming or travelling between spirit worlds, hence the teeth in his arms and legs. It was known that when a shaman was transforming, you could see into him - his guts and bones would be visible. His belly has doors which reveal a goggled visage - not feminine, but wearing a mustache. On the right inner door are caribou fleeing, and on the left door, two seals. Size: 14" h x 11" w. Cottonwood bark, alder root, glass beads, feathers.

The three smaller masks below are ones left from a sale I did last October at my Native Corporation meeting in Seattle. They will go to the show in Montana as well. First is a Kodiak mask I titled Spirit of Kodiak Winds. It is a simple mask, but the white painted design reminds me of New Guinea masks. There is raffia coming out of his mouth. Size: 5" h x 2" w. Cottonwood bark, raffia.



This happy fellow is a Sculpin (also known as a bullhead or Irish Lord). The spots on masks are believed to represent eyes, stars, snowflakes, or windows to the other spirit worlds. They could be any of these things, depending on the mask. Size: 12" h x 3" wide. Cottonwood bark, root, feathers, brass wire.



Lastly, we have Moon-Dwelling Spirit. The tuunraaq were malevolent or just naughty spirits that lived on the moon. Their faces show the phases of the moon. They were blood thirsty creatures - but mine is vegetarian - his mouth is smeared with berry juice! The spots here represent stars. Size: 12" h x 3" w. Cottonwood bark, roots, feathers, and copper wire.



With these pieces, my total is at 15. I had promised the gallery in Bozeman 15 masks. I have two more in progress, a pair of one-eyed masks. If I get them done, I'll ask the gallery if they can arrive a bit late. Everyone else is going to be packed up and mailed this weekend. It has been intense, and really enjoyable to spend so much time on my masks these past few months. I used to be much more consistent before I moved to Washington. I probably averaged 3-5 new pieces a month back in 1996. But then we had our own gallery, and the Alaskan spirits to inspire me! I think there are spirits here too, they are just more shy, and have had to gradually get used to me. We feel that every time we go walk in the woods, some little hitchhikers come home with us - in the Philippines, they are fairies or brownies. Now, with the new masks, our little fairies or spirits have new homes they can dwell in for a very long time!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on accomplashing so much work, and such wonderful pieces. You have indeed found the happy spirits.

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! I like the top one the best - beautiful! Had a chance to catch your breath yet?

heh ... typical laid-back seattle spirits. Too polite to interfere or really get too involved. ;) (You'd think with all the coffee we drink there'd be a frenzy of activity, but we're really just trying to keep awake)

1:39 PM  
Blogger Elderberry Studio said...

Marjaleena: thank you! Yes - I feel blessed - there are so many naughty spirits out there, just looking to trip one up.

Greg: thank you too! The top piece was fun - I like making little carvings - it's a challenge.
Yeah - I think you're right about those Seattle spirits - no wonder there's a coffee shop on every corner!

AS for catching my breath - I have to go hunt down some boxes tomorrow and start packing 'em up for mailing. If I get that done on Saturday, I can actually take Sun. & Mon. off to relax! Except...I'm probably less likely to relax just after finishing a big project like this. It'll take me a bit o' time - and there are all those other projects I've been putting off...

I just keep dreading how empty our den wall is going to be after they are all on their way to Montana...sniff...I better get my partner to take the 'family photo' tonite!

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker