Sunday, May 27, 2007

Mermaids and Mobiles

I started making mobiles a couple of years ago. This February, the agency I work for moved our offices to a new building. I brought in a simple mobile of copper and stainless steel wire, glass beads and beach glass to hang in the cubicle I share. My boss liked it and commissioned me to make a mobile for her daughter's 12th birthday. I suggested a mermaid theme - and she brought in some beach glass from Heather's collection. Here are two views of the finished mermaid mobile:




The mermaid is sculpted out of anodized aluminum wire I bought at Daiso, the Japanese 'dollar' store. Her scales are woven copper wire, strung with glass beads. The mermaid's face, seahorse and fish are cut from recycled tin containers and painted with model spray paint. The other pieces are stainless steel wire, glass beads, beach glass and shells.

I made an earlier mobile with a celestial theme for my friend's baby, Ethan - but won't post a photo until Ethan gets the mobile - don't want to spoil the surprise!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How lovely ! I bet your friend's daughter abolutley loves it.

And it's great to see you back here in the blogosphere, jackie.

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely - that is! Dang typing skills of mine.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Elderberrystudio said...

Marja-leena: thank you for visiting and for leaving your comments!
So far, I haven't found the best way to photograph the mobiles that captures their true essence...thank goodness for digital, though!

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa thats beautiful! Mobiles are so cool, and strangley uncommon. Odd, considering all the blank, undecorated space on ceilings ...

Too bad they're wasted on kids ;)

It does occur to me, for the wee ones safety, better be careful about the nasty "choking hazzard" factor!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Elderberry Studio said...

Greg: Mobiles aren't just for kids. I have two in my bedroom, and my cube-mate and I have one in our cubicle. Calder pretty much had big kids in mind when he designed his mobiles!

Yes - I know that the small elements in the mobiles can pose a choking hazard. My friends realize that, and will be sure to install the mobile high enough and out of reach to their little one.

Thanks for visiting! Hey - summer's back today!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jackie,
What a lovely mobile. I love mermaids and seahorses.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker