Saturday, January 07, 2006

2006, So Far - Ramblings

I'm just taking a break from scraping and sanding down the baseboard and crown molding trim from our family room. My partner's goal was to have completed the repaint of the family room by New Year's day - but that didn't quite happen. She has done most all of the work - I volunteered to do the trim. Because the walls had been heavily patched, and the texture didn't match anywhere, we decided to mix our paint with plaster. We had applied Venetian plaster to the upstairs living room main wall, which had also been badly damaged. We love the look - it looks like marble or limestone. The technique, using less expensive dry wall plaster, worked well down stairs too. Of course, I am itching to get into my 'shop' in the garage and work on some new projects. But since my shop doubles as our work space for the house projects, I am utilizing my patience, (and fulfilling my promise) by finishing the trim. We are being economical and practical by reusing the existing trim, as it is hardwood. Most of the new stuff today is foam. If we were to replace all our trim with like quality, it would be pretty expensive.

The next thing I have to do, after painting the trim, is clean and reorganize my shop. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to work tomorrow on some new art projects.

Last night we watched a couple of videos. I picked "The Snow Walker" which is a Canadian movie based on a Farley Mowatt story. It was really quite good. About a young pilot who finds himself stranded on the tundra with a young Innuit girl. The actress who plays the girl is beautiful. And the scenery is fantastic.

My partner and I talk alot about where we want to travel to. On our list is: Newfoundland, Iceland, Great Britain, the Netherlands, Finland, and the Philippines. I'm too scared to travel to the Philippines, since the island my partner is from is the stronghold of the Muslim terrorists. B's relatives who still live there (in Davao), are wealthy landowners, and have body guards to protect them. I'd stick out like a sore thumb there - with my fair complexion, grey eyes and light hair!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, I see Finland is on your list of places to see! I think you'd love it. I would recommend Denmark (I see you are part Dane). We've just spent a lovely week with our Danish friends here and on the westcoast of Vancouver Island at our favourite retreat, which they really loved. We reminisced about our wonderful past visits with them in Denmark.

As for house projects, we just finished repainting several rooms before all the holiday visitors. We spent years doing major renovations to this house quite some time ago, and now have been redoing some areas - it never ends! I like the sound of your Venetian plaster!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Elderberry Studio said...

Marja-leena: Yes - I was in the airport in Finland on my way to Russia. I've seen many photos - and it does look beautiful. I was also strongly impressed by how friendly and polite all the Finnish teens were who were on the 8-hour flight with us. They were returning from a year as exchange students in the U.S.

WOuld love to visit Denmark as well. Perhaps we'll do a trip that includes the many northern destinations all at once!

The Ventian plaster is fun. I'll try to post some photos -but of course, it won't be the same as seeing it in real life!

5:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jackie,
I'm glad you're back.:)) I've been thinking to repaint my kitchen walls. Maybe it is a good time to start soon.
I have a list places I like to visit too. One of them is Turkey. I watched The Snow Walker last weekend which I enjoyed it very much. Nature really can humble a person,isn't it?

3:26 AM  
Blogger Elderberry Studio said...

anasalwa: Somehow, the New Year feels like a good time to paint, reorganize, start new projects. It's like starting with a clean slate. My partner remembers some customs from the Philippines they used to follow. It is an interesting blend of cultures and beliefs!

Nature is always humbling. I grew up in the middle of the Alaskan Gulf - where weather can change in minutes. There's just something that inspires awe in me about the way the Innuit and Yupik people live in such an extreme climate - and have survived for many thousands of years! Another good Innuit movie is "The Fast Runner".
Thanks for visiting!

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker