Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The Progression of Things

Haven't posted for a bit because I was busy trying to finish a few projects. Then I had to pack up and mail the box to my son, and some belated birthday gifts to my mother as well. Then, I started working on a birthday gift for my co-worker and friend, Charly, who turned 30 Feb. 3. I didn't get the piece done by Friday, but worked on it all last weekend, finishing it up on Sunday.
Here is "Secrets" in progress, the doll I made for Charly:


Her body is an Altoids tin, spray-painted black. Her arms & legs are copper tubing, her fingers, toes & hair are copper wire. Her head, hands & feet are from a cool piece of copper sheet I found on the beach, with a beautiful natural patina already on it.

Below are a couple of the heart pieces I was working on, but sorta dropped to do the other, afore-mentioned projects. They are wood with mixed media.



And here is my neglected Porthos, totally disgusted with me for hiding in the garage all day and evening, and not giving him any attention. Since I was working with metal that made sharpy shavings, and fumes from spray paint, and a hot soldering iron and torch, the garage -- err, hem -- my 'studio' is strictly verbotten to him while I'm working.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww kitties! :D Your art is looking very nice! Isn't it great what the sea offers up for creative possibilities? I drive my wife crazy with the weird things I do with the shells, rocks and sticks I find ...

Have you ever tried that new cold soldering iron as-see-on-TV?

10:21 AM  
Blogger Elderberry Studio said...

Greg: Thanks!

cold soldering iron? Nope, haven't tried it. I do remember seeing the ad a couple times...gee - you must be watching some late-night tv! (like I'm not!)

12:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like the 'secret' birthday present you made for Charly, and like Karen, Pothos gets my attention. He reminds me of my 'Tompok'- Spotty my first cat when I was 11.
no rollerblading for me this weekend. We might get 10-15 inches of snow :((

8:43 PM  
Blogger Elderberry Studio said...

Karen: thank you! :} We named our kitty after one of the Four Musketeers (yes, there were actually 4, not just 3, in the books).

Anasalwa: Thanks! Charly enjoyed her "Secrets" immensely - I incorporated all her favorites: copper, spirals, colors, and artist inside (a picture which I'll post later). No snow for us! Just warm & sunny - 3 days in a row! We were out enjoying the weather today- tho not biking or rollerblading - shopping in the funky artsy neighborhood of Fremont, along the boat canals to Lake Union.

Elise: Sorry about the scrolling effect. I notice that using Mozilla browser, it is fine - no long scroll. At work, I have to use MS Explorer, and there is a long way down to the top of my posts. These are set templates on blogspot, but I was able to cut & past html code to list links on my sidebar. I may have messed up the template when doing so. I am not html-savvy enough to figure out what I did wrong. :{ Sorry 'bout that! And thanks for the link! Hope you're having a productive weekend!

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the heart and the doll. Very nice. I want to be able to do more big work with wood. When we move to the new house, I'll have a studio and room to work. Yay!

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker